Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer Update

I realize that one thing a blog does is allow others to laugh at/pity/envy my life. Here is brief anecdote about my summer life in lounge pants. How people feel when they read this is entirely out of my hands.
As some of you know, I have been working on various "hobbies" this summer. One hobby I have given a solid effort to so far has been going to the gym. I have been trying to go in the morning, after I "sleep in" of course. The only problem is that once I get there my toes go numb after five minutes on the treadmill or the eliptical machine. I don't think that is normal. I have a couple of working theories about why this happens. 1.) I am allergic to working out 2. ) I am a freak 3. ) I am wearing bad shoes. Instead of abandoning all gym ambitions I decided to go shoe shopping. After all, there is nothing more motivating for a hobby than the chance to shop for, buy, and wear new shoes. I am sorry for the long lead in to the actual anecdote....it was needed background information.
Here is my shoe shopping anecdote:
Disclaimer: I don't know anything about athletic shoes.
Last night I was browsing through TJ Maxx when I came across a pair that I thought would solve all my numbness problems. I bought them, took them home, and ran up and down my hall in them. They were too big. Alas. I made it my mission today to find a better pair and actually look--instead of stumble on a pair. I talked to running and shoe experts alike to to get their opinions and advice. I was ready. I started out by going to DSW. They had several options, one pair in particular. I decided to move on to other stores. I went to three other stores, including back to TJ Maxx to return the original pair. In those other stores I managed to buy two pairs of sandals and a pair of flats, but I did not find any shoes that I liked as much as the DSW pair. Later in the day I returned to DSW to buy this great pair of New Balance All Terrain Running shoes. They were 40% off in the clearance section. I tried them on in the store of course, but somehow I missed that they were actually men's shoes. They were in the women's section after all. I was all set to test them out at the gym when I really studied how wide and guyish my feet looked in them. I did some internet research and found out that sure enough my shoes were for men. I told you I did not know anything about this subject. On my third trip to DSW today I managed to find a great pair of shoes. I went directly to the gym and started breaking them in. After 30 minutes on the treadmill my feet were still not numb--they felt a little funny, but maybe that is just breaking in new shoes. I don't want to be allergic to the gym or be a freak.
Now, feel free to laugh/shake your head in pity or shame/envy me for my FOUR new pairs of shoes and day of shopping. Or all three.
Summer sure is super.

3 comments:

JZ said...

So glad you found better shoes and your feet aren't numb when you work out! I'm sad you took the men's shoes back though. It would have been such a meet cute if you had worn the men's shoes to the gym and then noticed that the attractive man next to you was wearing the same pair. Then he would notice and say something and........

Unknown said...

I feel like you had an extremely productive day. You never know when you'll need two pairs of sandals and some flats. I can't wait to share some of your summer fun with you. It'll be a BLAST!! P.S. We need to train for our marathon. :)

Rach and Todd said...

Lis - I have to tell you. I've met a few people who update their blogs more often than you do. How was the summer of '08 anyway. One day, when I come back to Utah we should hang out, mmmk? Hope you're doing fabulously.